Medical Services Pacific is accepting applications for vacant and new positions in 2019
Title: MSP Medical Doctor
Program: MSP Clinic and Outreach Programs
Duration: 1 year
Location: Suva, with travel to Central, Western and Northern Districts, Viti Levu
Reports To: Program Manager – Nileshni Devi or Clinic Manager (TBA)
Medical Services in the Pacific (MSP) was established as an NGO in 2010 to provide communities in the Pacific with improved access to health care, information and clinical services, specifically in the sectors of reproductive health care, family planning, maternal and child health care and adolescent health.
Qualifications: – A Registered Medical Practitioner – with approval to work in Fiji
Specialty: – Gynaecology, reproductive health or maternal health.
Women, girls and children
Essential Skills/Aptitudes:– Ability to communicate well in English (Oral and Written), report writing skills
- Highly developed communication skills (and email)
- Ability to manage and prioritise a demanding work load
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good services management skills including strategic planning, team management and building
- Computer literacy & database expertise
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work with gender sensitive issues
Previous Experience: – Minimum 5 years surgical experience (desirable)
- Experience of Family planning and service management
- Experience in pregnancy counselling
- Good contraceptive knowledge and skills (e.g. trained to insert IUD’s, implants and injectable contraceptives).
- Knowledge of pap smears or VIA
- Familiarization with rape kit protocols
- Knowledge/experience of permanent sterilization methods such as vasectomy and Tubal Ligation desirable.
- Experience working in women’s health, adolescent health maternity, gynaecology or reproductive health
Attitudes and Motivation: Desire to apply strong management skills to achieve social outcomes.
– Supportive of MSP philosophies (e.g. pro-choice and universal access, gender equality, human rights, child protection, ending VAWG).
Attributes: – Good communication and interpersonal skills
– Results oriented and innovative
- Ability to work as part of the team and to take direction.
- Strong, determined, self-motivated
- Able to maintain client confidentiality
- Adaptable and flexible
- Able to work in a developing country context with limited resources and be adaptable
- Ability to travel
Remuneration will be paid on fortnightly basis unless otherwise agreed.
The contract will be for a specific period. Full time contracts are subject to an annual renewal
The doctor is expected to work 5 days per week in clinic or in outreach or in combination of service provision. The MSP clinic is open 6 days a week (closed Sunday). The specific 5 workdays shall be agreed and noted in your Employee contract.
The MSP Suva office is open at 8.30am. The clinic should be open from 9 to 5pm or as needed. Some group bookings may choose a private confidential after hours appointments and MSP is always flexible in order to support the needs of the client.
From time to time, additional work hours maybe required after 5pm or on weekends due to increased demand or other seasonal workload demands. In addition, there could be a national disaster or a client emergency after hours where the Medical staff are required. Such as ongoing close monitoring or escort for a maternal health client in distress, or support for a post abortion client, or providing services or responding to a sexual assault client or Sexual Offenses Unit (SOU) case.
Please understand, that MSP is a charity and does not pay overtime for full time staff members. MSP has a generous leave policy. In addition, MSP offers a Time In Lieu of Overtime (TILO) policy. When staff attend business meetings, functions, trainings, outreach, field work, court, business travel or when attending to seeing general medical cases, SOU or SRH clients after hours, MSP does not pay overtime. Instead, this time is accrued and MSP staff can take paid leave off during business days, to recover this additional time worked. Where the clinic is busy or staff are unable to take time off, then MSP management, may consider to pay out the hours worked as accrued under the TILO policy. This is at the discretion of the Senior Management Team and pending available resources and MSP has no obligation.
Part time and casual medical staff
For part time and casual staff, any MSP business, field work or clinical work undertaken and worked on Saturday and Sunday shall be paid at a normal or hourly daily rate as agreed in their Letter of Offer.